Week 9 CSA
Whew! I think we finally made it through our hottest week...that was brutal. It was great to see some of you and your families at the picnic last Saturday. We missed the rest of you but hope to see you at the next picnic. Things are busy here as we begin to plant out some of our fall vegetable starts. We have chinese cabbage, swiss chard, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, parsley, cilantro, head lettuce, cucumbers, and beans going out this week. Summer crops are still coming in so stay tuned for watermelon, cantaloupe, eggplant, red and orange peppers, and plenty more tomatoes :)
We are just beginning to get our first peaches since planting in 2012. They are small but sweet- all of our fruit is grown organically and without any sprays at all. Keep in mind they will not be as pretty as the ones in the store but the flavor is great. Let them continue ripening in a paper bag or on your counter until fully ripe.
What to expect this week:
- Zucchini/ Summer Squash
- Green Peppers
- Sweet corn from Twin Sycamore Farm in Pittsboro
Recipe of the week:
- 6 ears corn, kernels stripped
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. cotija cheese or feta, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp. chili powder, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt
- In a serving bowl, toss corn with mayo, cotija, lime juice, cilantro, and chili powder. Season generously with salt.
- Top with more cotija, cilantro, and a sprinkle of chili powder.
***Thanks to Molly for bringing this to the picnic Saturday. I have a new addiction- I just had it again tonight and it was so sweet and delicious!***